Friday, December 13, 2013

Of Light and Darkness: The Vampire's Daughter by: Shayne Leighton

Publication Date: 
August 2011


Overview: 
When one human stands before an army of impossible obstacles, the likelihood of overcoming them in this coming-of-age modern fairytale may result in war between light and darkness.



Abandoned as an infant in Prague, naive and strong-willed Charlotte Ruzikova was raised by one of the last Vampires left alive. As a human, she knows no other home than the one nestled deep in the woods of Eastern Europe, where Witches drew spells of enchantment, Phasers threw tea parties, and Elves are the closest in kin. Charlotte has lived her life in the dark with her Guardian, content to having him to herself and reveling in his attention, until she's realizes she wants more...



Resident medical doctor and Vampire, Valek Ruzik fears the day his ward would come of age and blossom into a fine woman, and he is forced to confront his own motives as time is of the essence once his past catches up to him, and their lives become endangered...



As genocide and war threatens their secret society, the dictator in power is ready to wipe out Valek's race, but Charlotte will not allow that to happen. Fighting for the only one she's ever loved and truly believed in, she will do whatever it takes to save their love...before the sun comes up and light takes over.


My thoughts:
     I wasn't sure if I would like this book. I love vampire but it seemed a little old age vampire. But I gave it a chance and loved it. The beginning was kinda hard to get through. Trying to figure out what is going on with Valek, the vampire, but finding the baby changes things. It brings you into a new light of things. 
      He raises this girl to be human and not a vampire, which it strange. It brings you back to "The Cullen's" from "Twilight"  and how they change each other to be vampires. He takes a daring step and keeps her human. Mistake or great idea?
      Now it bugs me that he raised Charlotte to go out and find humans to feed him. I don't think I could handle getting food for my vampire father! I would have to draw a line, but it just brings the authors brilliance to light. 
      I immediately loved Charlotte, just living with the creature of the night and feeding. Going against the grain and rules set by dear old dad. She has fire and spunk in her that makes her easy to want to be friends with, help or even fall for. And her dad does which makes my skin crawl, but then again who wouldn't. In my opinion most worlds filled with vampire and wizards are rules by vampires this on is not. 
Aiden, hum..I don't know what I can say that won't give anything away but...humm.

My rating: 
4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment