Friday, January 3, 2014

Anyone But You by: Kim Askew & Amy Helms

Publication Date: 
January 2014

Overview:
 These violent delights have violent ends...
Gigi Caputo is fed up. A vicious act of vandalism has dealt another blow to her family's proud pizza heritage, and the Montes--owners of a rival Italian restaurant--are clearly to blame. The hostility goes far beyond bragging rights for best pizza in Chicago. The Montes have been bent on destroying Cap's for four generations. Even if it means putting herself in harm's way, Gigi's determined to get to the bottom of the feud. Instead, in a secret encounter with Roman Monte, the very boy whose relatives have brought her family such grief, she finds both danger and love at first sight. If the daughter and son of these two warring families fall for each other, can it be anything but a recipe for disaster? Slowly, Gigi and Roman learn that their story is fatefully linked to the summer of 1933, when two twelve-year-olds, Benny and Nick, hop the turnstile at the Chicago World's Fair. The most stunning wonder of the fair is Stella, who innocently causes a lasting rift between the two boyhood. Wending its way through past and present day, this modern take on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is bittersweet, funny, and intensely exciting. It's classic romance--a tale of hate and the only force that can ever defeat it: love.

My thoughts: 
I have to be honest, I have never been one for retellings! I think the originals are so unique that we shouldn't redo anything. But I understand the wants and needs of the public to rehash things and make them better or switch them up and make it more current. So I'm going with it!
Romeo and Juliet has to be one of my favorite "old school" stories. I can cry with the best of them when I read it and so I was very interested in seeing where this book would lead me! Now the story jumps from modern times, back to the past and it makes me crazy, as my fans know, I am not ever a fan of jumping around. It's a slow read and you really need to know your Romeo and Juliet to know this book. 
I love the rapidness of the romance. I think that is so much like Romeo and Juliet that I just love the feel of true love and all that jazz! The authors did such a great job of keeping the romance real and current. Gigi and Roman are so well written characters that you want to help them and root for them til the end of things. This reminds me of, "Pizza my Heart" movie which surrounds the story line  with a pizza shop and two love birds. 
I would really love to read more Twisted-Lit after reading this. 

My rating: 
4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment